MS Olav Geir is a smaller icebreaker / towing vessel with 8.0 tonnes (max) certified towing power (Bollard Pull). In addition to ice breaking of moderate ice thickness (30-40 cm thick sea ice)towing and towing assignments, the vessel is equipped with a telescopic hydraulic deck crane SWL 5.0 tonnes (with winch capacity 1 tonnes) for lifting equipment for quay repairs. The vessel is equipped with a hydraulic towing winch / capstan with SWL 10 tonnes and a tow hook, SWL 12.75 tonnes.
The vessel was built in 1967 by Akerboom Bros, Shipyard Holland, building number 457.
- Type: Ice breaker and tow / work boat
- Dimensions: Loa: 17.22 m, Beam: 5.5 m, Depth in water: 2.6 m
- Tonnage: Gt: 52.50 ts, Nt: 15.70 ts
- Material: Icebreaking steel
- Main engine: 1 x 720 BHP Deutz Diesel
- Gear: 1 x gearbox Shaft: 1 x Shaft
- Props: 1 x 3 blade stainless steel fixed prop, and Nozzle, 2 x rudder behind
- Towing hook: 12.75 tons towing hook free release from bridge
- Aux: 1 x Aux Engine Gen set: 1 x gen set 22 Kva
- Bollard pull: 8 ts
- Speed: Service speed: 7 kt, Maximum speed: 10 kt
- Endurance: 1500 NM
- Bunkers: 10500 l
- Freshwater: 3000 l
- Deck winch: Hydraulic Winch / Capstan 10 tons.
- Deck crane: Hydraulic maritime telescopic crane, SWL 3 tons, with wire winch of 1 ton lifting capacity
- Modern Navigation Equipment / GMDSS A1 (Coastal)